Registering students with ActiveLearn
Back to main Help area
Adding a single student
- You can add a single student to ActiveLearn by going to "Register a single student" in the Admin menu:
- On the page that opens, fill in the student's details, then click the "Register" button, bottom left.
- Your student is registered to ActiveLearn!
You will need to let them know the login details (username and password) that you have set up for them.
Registering a group of students
Usually, you will want to register a whole group of students with ActiveLearn rather than just a single student. To do this, you need certain information about each student organised in a table format.
The three essential pieces of information that you must include for every student are:
- First name
- Last name
- Date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
You can also include other useful information:
- Email address
- School year
- One or more group names (for instance you might want to set up a class group, and one or more subject groups)
Importing student information
Once you have organised your student information into a table or a spreadsheet, you are ready to import it to ActiveLearn.
- Click on the "Admin" tab in the menu bar, and choose "Register multiple students" from the left-hand menu.
- Copy the student information you want to import from your table or spreadsheet.
[If you want to import student data from SIMS, please read this explanation of a simple way to make your SIMS data compatible with ActiveLearn.]
- Go back to ActiveLearn, click in the text box and paste the user data (Ctrl+V, or right-click + "Paste"). You should now see your list of users as plain text. The data does not look properly organised, but don\'t worry: this will be sorted out in the next step.
- At this stage, if you haven\'t included usernames and passwords in your data, you can add a default password. Type this in the "Password (Default)" box in the left-hand column.
- Click "Next" to create your data table.
Checking the data table
- Unless there was a problem with your user data, you will now see an editable table of student information. Check that the heading for each column is correct.
- If you need to change a heading, click on the drop-down arrow on the right of the heading. This will show you all the column options.
If you have given a column a heading that ActiveLearn does not recognise, it will show the heading "Choose Type". Use the drop-down menu to pick the correct heading.
- If you do not need the information in a column, choose the heading "EXCLUDE".
- If you see an error or missing data (highlighted in red), you can click on a cell to edit it.
- Once you have made the changes, click either the tick to save them, or the cross to discard the changes.
- If there is a serious error in the information, or if you want to modify your data, you can click "Back" to go back and make changes.
Importing the data
- When you have checked that all the columns will be imported to the correct place, click "Next".
- If you didn\'t include usernames and passwords in your student data, ActiveLearn will add them at this point. Passwords created by ActiveLearn consist of the student\'s first name followed by their second name and a number based on how many other students have the same first and last names: for example rupalsingh1, heidigrunewald1, johnsmith2.
- ActiveLearn now checks your students one by one against the information already on the database. When all users have been checked, you will see a table showing the changes that will be made by the import. The results are colour-coded.
- You may want to cut some students from your list at this point, for instance if they are already on the system and their information is unchanged. You can do this by removing the tick from the "Include" column on the right-hand side.
- If there is a serious error or you want to modify your data, click "Back".
- When you are happy with your student information, press the green button "Import [number] users".
- When the import is complete, a summary of new and changed users will be shown. During the import process, a data file is created which includes the usernames and passwords for the students you have imported. This file is automatically saved to your computer.
Importing teachers and updating information
You can import teacher information to ActiveLearn in a similar way to student data.
- On the Admin page, click on "Import teachers" in the teacher section of the left-hand menu.
- The procedure is the same as for students, except that for teachers the information you must include is first name, last name and email address.
- The import system can also be used to update existing users with new or changed information, such as setting new individual passwords for students, or updating email addresses.
Students who have left the school can be moved to the category "Leavers".
Students leaving after Year 13
If you do a whole-school year update at the end of the school year, Student who are in Year 13 will automatically be moved to the "Leavers" category.
Students leaving after Year 11
If your students finish at the end of Year 11, you will need to move them to the Leavers category manually.
- Click the Admin tab in the top menu bar.
- Choose "Update year" from the menu on the left.
- Search for all students in Year 11 using the filters at the top of the left-hand column.
- Select all the Year 11 students who are leaving, and click "Add" to move them to the right-hand column.
- In the drop-down menu at the top of the right-hand column, select "Leavers". Now click the button "Move selected users". Your Year 11 students will be moved to the Leavers category.
For leavers from other years, go to the Update year page and use the filters at the top of the left-hand column to find the relevant student or students. Then follow the instructions above for Year 11 leavers.
Removing access to products
When you move students to the "Leavers" category, you should also remove their access to ActiveLearn Digital Service products. To do this:
- Go to the Admin page and choose "Manage access to products" from the left-hand menu.
- Select the product that you wish to remove access for.
- In the "Year" filter on the right, select "14" (this is the Leavers category) and hit "Search".
- Select all the students in the list and then click "Remove access".
- Repeat this process for any other products that the students have access to.
Removing students from groups
If one or a small number of students leave a class or study group, you will also want to remove them from the groups that they are in.
- Go to the Admin page and choose "Manage groups" from the left-hand menu.
- Click on the name of the group that you want to remove the student from.
- On the group page, select the student or students you wish to remove, and click the button "Remove from group" in the top bar.
Deleting students or teachers from your institution
Currently, it is not possible for teachers to delete students (or other teachers) from ActiveLearn Digital Service. However, if you do wish to completely remove students or teachers, please contact digital support and they can do this for you.
© Pearson Education 2017 v1.12
Colour coding for imported student data
- If you are adding students for the first time, they should be coded green: New users.
- If you have made changes to the details of an existing student, this should show as orange: Existing users whose details are changing.
- If you add duplicate data for a student that is already on the system, this will be coded blue: Unchanged. This may be the case if, for example a student has already been registered on ActiveLearn for a different subject.
- If there is an error of some sort, this will show as red. The Status column will give brief details of the error, but you can find out more by clicking on the question mark next to the error message.
Back to Importing the data
© Pearson Education 2017 v1.12