BTEC National Applied Science Student Book 2
Part of the BTEC Nationals Applied Science 2016 series
- £25.90 + £1.85 UK VAT
- Publication Date
- June 2017
Tailored support for the new BTEC Nationals in Applied Science
- Written by an expert author team of BTEC teachers, verifiers and science professionals so you can be sure the content is reliable, relevant and of the highest quality.
- Student Book 1 includes all the mandatory units and a range of optional units to support completion of the Certificate, Extended Certificate or Foundation Diploma.
- Student Book 2 provides a range of optional units and all the extra mandatory units required to support learners studying for the Diploma or Extended Diploma as well as the Biomedical Science, Analytical and Forensic Science and Physical Science Exdended Diploma Pathways.
- Both Student Books are accompanied by an ActiveBook (a digital version of the Student Book) - an easy way for learners to personalise their learning as they progress through the course, and perfect for revision and reinforcement of key skills.
- The ActiveBooks (eBooks) are available to buy separately, and a range of institutional site licences are also available providing teachers with a flexible resourcing option.
- Kindle editions of the Student Books are also available, providing an additional choice of formats to help meet each learner’s needs.
Each Student Book and ActiveBook has clearly laid out pages with a range of supportive features to aid learning and teaching:
• Getting to know your unit sections ensure learners understand the grading criteria and unit requirements.
• Getting ready for assessment sections focus on preparation for external assessment with guidance for learners on what to expect. Hints and tips will help them prepare for assessment and sample answers are provided for a range of question types including, short and long answer questions, all with a supporting commentary.
• Pause point features provide opportunities for learners to self-evaluate their learning at regular intervals. Each Pause Point feature give learners a Hint or Extend option to either revisit and reinforce the topic or encourage independent research or further study skills.
• Case study and Theory into practice features enable development of problem-solving skills and place the theory into real-life situations learners could encounter.
• Assessment practice features provide scaffolded assessment practice activities that help prepare learners for assessment. Within each assessment practice activity, a Plan, Do and Review section supports learners’ formative assessment by making sure they fully understand what they are being asked to do, what their goals are and how to evaluate the task and consider how they could improve.
• Literacy and numeracy activities provide opportunities for reinforcement in these key areas, placing the skills into a sport context.
• Dedicated Think future pages provide case studies from the industry, with a focus on aspects of skills development that can be put into practice in a real work environment and further study.
Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II
Unit 6: Investigative Project
Unit 7: Contemporary Issues in Science
Unit 17: Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
Unit 21: Medical Physics Applications
Unit 23: Forensic Evidence, Collection and Analysis