Bug Club Independent
Build up positive attitudes to reading, and engage children in the classroom and at home with Bug Club
What is Bug Club Independent?
Part of the Bug Club family, Bug Club Independent is an independent reading solution that encourages readers to read at home with 164 fully decodable titles from our Bug Club Phonics programme and over 300 additional fiction and non-fiction print books, comics and graphic novels alongside an online reading world.
It includes teaching tools to help you with planning, assessing and monitoring progress to ensure all children are reading at a level which is right for them and making progress.
What can Bug Club Independent help my school achieve?
Over an 18-month period, we conducted very detailed research with University College London to understand the impact Bug Club had on learning. You can find a summary of the research here (PDF 120 KB) and the full report here. (PDF 524 KB)
The report showed Bug Club Independent can help you with:
- Raising attainment - After 18 months pupils using Bug Club were 11 months ahead of their expected reading age.*
- Closing the gap - After just half a year, Bug Club had a significant impact on reading gains for pupils in receipt of Pupil Premium, helping to close the gap between them and students not on Pupil Premium.
- Motivation – After just a few months children were reading for longer. After 12 to 18 months of reading with Bug Club pupils said they liked to read and go to school more.
- Reading for Pleasure – Reluctant readers are motivated to read at home and all pupils enjoy the fiction, topics, story content and illustrations.
- Diversity/Inclusion – All pupils irrespective of age, gender or ability love Bug Club materials.
- Teacher workload – Teachers and in particular NQTs, find the materials easy to follow and supportive.
- Embed phonic teaching – Bug Club Independent includes 134 decodable readers from one of the DfE’s approved phonics teaching progammes.
*expected InCas reading score relative to their age.
See the report highlights
Take a look at our infographic to see the highlights of the independent Bug Club Study:
- increased enjoyment in reading
- increase in progress made.
Download the Bug Club efficacy infographic (PDF 183 KB)
What's in Bug Club Independent?
- Over 400 finely levelled beautiful ebooks and print books with characters your children already love including The Doctor and Sarah and Duck.
- 134 fully decodable readers to help children embed their phonics learning at home.
- 343 wonderful book titles across a wide range of genres including fiction, non-fiction, plays, and poetry.
- Inside cover notes in each book to help you and your children’s parents know how to deepen understanding.
- An online reading world to strengthen home school links and engage your pupils.
- Teacher tools to help with your planning and assessment workload – allocate books at the touch of a button, track their progress and assess their depth of understanding at a glance.
"Bug Club deserves gushing praise for its design and innovation.
"This is a programme destined to lead the market and transform the way we teach reading."
Independent review on Teach Primary
Now you know more about Bug Club, you can get immediate access to nine free book samples, and three teaching guidance samples.
They include snapshots of KS1/P1-3 and KS2/P4-7 titles from Independent and Guided packages, across a range of genres.
Try some free samples
Already convinced? Book a free demo for your school, so one of our consultants can show you how Bug Club will work for your school and your reading requirements.
Book a free demo
More from the Bug Club Family