How does Bug Club Guided Reading work?
Guided Reading is split into KS1/P1-3 and KS2/P4-7, with each approached differently to better suit the stages of your children’s development.
KS1 / P1-3
At this level:
- Guided Reading is centred around fantastic books that your children will want to read
- Makes use of easy-to-use teacher cards to ease the burden on your preparation
- Guided reading cards for KS1/P1-3 cover multiple sessions with you, going into depth with each text and asking questions that will challenge and grow your children’s comprehension skills
- Plus, there are accompanying photocopiable activities around each title to extend learning
KS2 / P4-7
At this level, Guided Reading is built on a robust, three question approach.
- The looking question: literal comprehension
- The clue question: making connections and inferences to further comprehension
- The thinking question: going beyond the text, connecting text to self and text to world to access deep comprehension.
The approach follows a structured and clearly defined teaching cycle with meaningful activities to support an in-depth and consistent focus on comprehension.