Bug Club Shared Reading
Engaging stories with curriculum-linked vocabulary progression
Finalist in the 2020 Teach Primary Awards English category!
What is Bug Club Shared Reading?
Bug Club Shared is a new primary reading scheme that uses high-quality books, designed to be read out loud, to encourage excitement around reading for pleasure. With a structured, systematic approach to vocabulary progression, these beautifully illustrated books introduce children to rich and challenging words from other subject areas that enable them to make cross-curricular links in their learning.
The scheme has been developed in collaboration with curriculum expert Mary Myatt and leading knowledge-rich curriculum MAT, the Knowledge Schools Trust, to ensure the effective delivery and retention of knowledge.
Teachers have also been involved in the development of the scheme through our Teacher Partnership Programme.
What can Bug Club Shared help my school achieve?
Excitement around reading for pleasure - Beautifully illustrated, engaging texts combined with classroom interaction and discussion creates an enjoyable yet purposeful, reading aloud experience.
Closing the word gap – Proven methods of spaced learning, repetition and formative assessment are used to ensure children have the vocabulary they need to succeed across the curriculum.
Reducing teacher workload - Ready-made adaptable lesson plans help teachers save time planning and organising their shared reading sessions. The range of vocabulary covered enables teachers to make the best use of teaching time through cross-curricular links with other subjects.
What’s in Bug Club Shared?
36 high-quality, illustrated story books (12 each for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2)
Online subscription on Active Learn Primary including:
- An interactive scheme of work covering two weeks of structured learning, per book
- Digital editions of each book for display on Interactive White Board
- Videos of each book being read aloud by professional readers
- Teacher notes to support each reading session
- Videos to help deliver Professional Development training to broaden knowledge about the benefits of shared reading.
How does Bug Club Shared Meet the Ofsted Inspection Requirements?
- Bug Club Shared introduces children to new vocabulary with cross-curricular links that not only enables them to communicate effectively, but inspires confident speakers and fluent readers.
- Each classroom story time session allows children to listen to their teachers reading the books out loud, which helps them to develop their own language and vocabulary.
- The Bug Club Shared books are engaging stories, designed to be read in an exciting way that introduces new ideas, concepts and vocabulary children might not otherwise be exposed to in other readers.
What do teachers think?
"The books from Bug Club were just as gorgeous. Like the Rapid Reading texts, the back and inside covers of the books stated what phonics would be explored, some reading questions and what links the book made to other areas of the curriculum such as science, history and geography. This is one thing that I particularly liked about the series. It allowed me to easily link my Reading sessions with our current topic lessons, and make links across the children’s subjects. For instance, one of the stories is about space and I am planning to use it during my new space topic in September."
Miss H, Literacy Lead, Greater London
Read the full review.
Now you know more about Bug Club Shared, why not download our free Sample Booklet?
Try some free samples
Already convinced? Book a free demo for your school, so one of our consultants can show you how Bug Club Shared will work for your school and your reading requirements.
Book a free demo