Bug Club Phonics
Excite your children and give them a firm foundation in phonics
What is Bug Club Phonics?
Part of the Bug Club family, Bug Club Phonics is one of the DfE’s approved phonics teaching programmes and aims to help all children in your school learn to read by the age of six in a fun and accessible way. Following the order of Letters and Sounds, the whole school programme matches the National Curriculum and Early Learning Goals.
Download our Bug Club Phonics and Letters and Sounds alignment Chart (PDF 2.82 MB)
134 fully decodable readers with fiction and non-fiction titles from Letters and Sounds Phases 2 to 5 including stories from the hugely popular CBeebies Alphablock characters ensure children read from books with the sounds they know as they are learning to read. All titles are also available in an engaging online reading world which includes allocatable eBooks so all children can apply the knowledge and skills from their phonics lesson at home that night.
What can Bug Club Phonics help my school achieve?
- A solid foundation in reading for all: Written by the same authors of the Clackmannanshire study, Bug Club Phonics uses the systematic synthetic phonics approach. This heavily influenced current government policy as it was shown to give the best foundation in reading for all children regardless of social and economic background.
- Accessible and inclusive phonics teaching: Evidence shows keeping the children together fosters a sense of social inclusion and boosts the performance of children progressing more slowly*
- Meet the requirements for the new Ofsted framework: We have produced a detailed analysis so you may be confident in Bug Club Phonics’ ability to support your school in meeting the new requirements. You can access the document here.
- Comfortable and confident learners: Videos of well-known CBeebies characters are weaved into lessons and characters, such as the Alphablocks, appear in the books helping to link the children’s home environment with school .
- A rich and varied reading experience: As part of the Bug Club family you can choose when to weave in readers that aren’t fully decodable to ensure an enthusiasm for reading is nurtured.
- Frequent and detailed assessment: In addition to end of unit and phase summative assessments, appropriate and informal assessment opportunities are offered in the daily lessons and through fun games in the online world.
- Extra help for those who fall behind: Guidance on how to support those who fall behind is provided throughout.
What's in Bug Club Phonics?
- A subscription to whole class teaching including CBeebies videos animations and interactive activities to deliver effective teaching for each sound.
- Comprehensive lesson plans which follow the order of Letters and Sounds with embedded assessment and consolidation
Download the chart (PDF 2.82 MB)
- 90 fiction and 44 non-fiction fully decodable readers, including a range of characters and themes to appeal to every child
- Online access to engaging, fully decodable eBooks and games you can allocate to your pupils.
Download the Bug Club Phonics brochure (PDF 1.04 MB)
Helping your pupils read for pleasure right from the very beginning of their reading journey, all Bug Club Phonics readers are also included in our Bug Club Starter and Pro Independent book packs and online subscriptions giving them the opportunity to apply their skills with decodable readers alongside carefully levelled reading fiction and non-fiction non-fully decodable books.
If you're not quite ready to purchase Bug Club Phonics, why not book a free demo with your local consultant to see how it would work in your school?
Book a free demo
More from the Bug Club Family