Foundation Student Books
We’ve worked with teachers to develop versions of our core textbooks that feature reduced content and language level, providing greater support and enabling students of all abilities to progress.
Available for the five most popular options, these foundation versions help make the GCSE content more accessible and are easy to use alongside the core textbooks.
- We’ve reduced the level of the language to remove difficult words or phrases when possible.
- More of the difficult words that students need to know are explained in key terms boxes, with definitions repeated through the books to reinforce learning.
- We've made our explanations more accessible for students targeting a grade 5 or below.
- Where possible, we’ve replaced paragraphs of text with easy-to-understand flow diagrams, mind maps or charts so there is significantly less text on the pages for students to tackle.
- Exam tips have been re-focused to offer advice so that students of all abilities can secure as many marks as possible.
- The Preparing for your exam chapters have been thoroughly rewritten with answers and commentary for students working towards a grade 5.
- The level of activities have been reduced and some of the harder ones removed.
Foundation titles available:
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Foundation Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941–91 Student Book
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Foundation The American West, c1835–c1895 Student Book
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Foundation Early Elizabethan England, 1558–88 Student Book
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Foundation Weimar and Nazi Germany, 1918–39 Student Book
- Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Foundation Medicine through time, c1250-present Student Book